Monday, February 12, 2007

Community College vs High School

Community College...and high school... both are extremly different, yet they have incredible similarities. The difficulty level in community college is much greater than in High School. However, the motivation in community college to do well is also much greater because there is no plan B. In communty college one must do well to get to his disired goal. Also, no one in a community college is being forced togo to school, therefore the learning environment is much stronger because everybody wants to learn. High school however is alot more laid back and easy. If one is committed one can easily get a 4.0 because of the simple fact that homework is a large portion of the grade, and there alot more "easy points". In community college one has to be not only committed, but also be a good test taker because of the simple fact that exams can sometimes account for nearly nintey percent of the grade. Teachers in high school are also more personal with you. They tend to care alot more about your well doing in a class. If a teacher realises commitment, second chances are oftenly granted, but in community college it depends on the proffessor. Some proffessors teach as many students as the whole entire population of an average high school. What would make them care about you so much?
Overall, high school and community colleges both have their advantages. With effort and committment anyone can excell in either.
Which one do you think is better?

2 comments:

Cassie said...

I'd have to disagree with you on the point about high school teachers being more personal with students and caring more about them than community college teachers (at least at Foothill).

I've found that teachers at Foothill, probably 97% of my teachers over almost 3 years, have been more friendly and open to my ideas than high school teachers. This is one of the major factors that I considered when I left high school after a week and came to Foothill. I knew, from my older brother's experience, how friendly and caring the teachers at Foothill can be.

So I'd definitely put my vote in for Foothill as the better choice.

Sarah said...

I'm kind of with Cassie on this one. Though I never actually went to high school, I have high school friends and from what I have heard of their teachers, they are not nearly as interested in student success. Maybe you just haven't had the right teachers here.

I have had a teacher (or 2) here who is one of those teachers with a ton of students every term. Yet this teacher manages to remember students even if they have not taken class from him for multiple quarters and he will actually remember things that interest you, if you have told him, such as your major. Boy do I wish I had that good of a memory!

As for being personal, he requires students to come to one of his office hours just to get to know you, that's in addition to getting to know eachother in class.

Another of my teachers here knows all the problems I have had with my clothing over the last 5 months, not because I go to her and whine, but because she listens to all the little conversations going on in the class room before lecture starts.

So again, I think you must be having bad luck at Foothill (I actually have had one impersonal instructor at Foothil) and really good luck in high school. If you help finding a good teacher who actually cares, I know some, at least for math and chemistry.