Monday, January 29, 2007

Jim

A few month ago one of my good friends told me he was gay. At first I was shocked. Thoughts were racing through my mind like a gazelle running away from the on coming predator. "What!? No..... he must be playing a joke, but Jim is perfectly normal." After some utter moments of silence I smile and tell him "Haha you're joking right." As serious as a judge convicting his own brother, Jim replies and says, "No."
Again thought start running through my head. I can't believe it. Jim! The very same Jim I had talked to all the time about girls, and the very same one whom I would feel comfortable making gay jokes to was gay. Then the inevitable question came to my head, and it apparently came to his head also. Jim then asked, "Um so, are we still friends." It took me 2 seconds two answer, but those two seconds seemed like two centuries, and then the thought came to my head. This is Jim. The very same Jim that was your friend for the past two years. Are you going to let this small issue hinder your friendship? I then reply, "Ofcourse, you're my friend."
Somehow in Catfish and Mandala, I wonder what Andrew was thinking when he found out the truth about his sister. Did he actually accept her for who she is? Or did he seem to ignore the fact that this was his sister. The same sister that has been with him through the thick and the rough.
*The name Jim was used because I had promised "Jim" not to tell anyone.

3 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

I can kind of relate to this feeling. I have personally always been comfortable with gays and never told a gay joke because that was how my parents raised me, but I understand that feeling of "Oops, I really shouldn't have said that."

My family square dances and my mom and I were at a gay square dance group when the conversation turned to transsexuals, which I didn’t really mind. Then they mentioned two women I knew and how they were postoperative transsexuals. I was only 10 or 11 at the time and I hadn’t known that these women used to be guys.

On the car ride home, I asked my mom if she had known and she said she did. She told me that she had not told my sister and me because she did not want us to feel uncomfortable around them. As soon as I found out it was definitely true, I started to feel bad. I remembered that one time when I was dancing with one of these women I had made some kind of joke about the size difference in our hands, and height. Did she think I had been making fun of her? Did she know that I didn’t know? I don’t think she took it wrong at all, but it was really easy to make me feel guilty when I younger.

If you want to find a way to talk more about this and get credit, try thinking about how this educated you. Did you learn something from this experience that may have altered the way you look at things? Did this change in perspective alter the way you looked at other things? Maybe even the way you look at your education? I don’t know if it did, but if so, it would make an interesting blog entry.

AlbinoPakinese said...

altho this did not recieve points, i agree with both scott and sarah. this an excellent story and culd easily be turned into a discussion on how this taught u sumthing about yurself, how it may have impacted tha way u look at tha world.